“MATHEMATICS IN FOCUS”
AN INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHIC COMPETITION
Rules and Regulations
effective from September 1, 2020
1 General Provisions
1. The Organizer of the photography competition “Matematyka w obiektywie” (“Mathematics in Focus”), hereinafter referred to as the Competition, are The University of Szczecin and The Maria Grzegorzewska University.
2. Participation in the Competition is free of charge.
3. The language of the Competition is Polish and English.
4. The Organizer cannot reimburse expenses related to the participation in the Competition.
5. Competition Participants shall be divided into two age groups:
- Group 1 – Participants up to the age of 20 (birthday before or on 31st December of the current year);
- Group 2 – Participants above the age of 20.
Minors (who at the time of registration are not 18 years or older) can only enter the Competition with permission of their statutory representative (parents or legal guardians).
6. Organizers and members of the Jury, as well as their family members: spouses, ascendants and descendants may not participate in the Competition
7. The purpose of the Competition is to spark interest in various facets of mathematics among the largest possible number of people. The Competition is designed for those with the ability to look at the Queen of the Sciences with imagination and to capture their ideas in photographs.
8. Submission of the photographs declares acceptance of the Competition’s Rules & Regulations along with the application form and declarations.
9. The Organizer reserves the right to amend the provisions of the Rules & Regulations and to make decisions concerning any matters not regulated herein.
2 Submission of Entries
- Every Participant may submit no more than 6 photographs.
- Entering the competition involves: registering in the application system, entering personal data, making a statement and sending photo files with titles and mathematical descriptions using the electronic notification system available on the website www.mwo.usz.edu.pl.
- The following editing of photographic entries shall be allowed: change of colour depth and contrast, conversion into black and white photos, as well as minor enhancing.
- Photo files submitted to the competition should not exceed 15MB. The recommended resolution is min. 300 dpi.
- The Organizer reserves the right to disqualify entries that do not comply with the requirements specified in the Rules & Regulations.
- By entering the Competition, the Participant declares that he/she is the author of the submitted photographs and that he/she is the sole owner of the authorship, property and personal rights associated with them.
- By joining the Competition, the Participant declares that the submission of the entries by the participant does not violate any rights of third parties.
- By joining the Competition, the Participant declares that he/she has the consent of all persons whose image is recorded on the submitted photos for free, unlimited in time and territory, use of their image by all possible means of transmission in all activities of the organizer.
- The participant of the competition bears full and exclusive liability for providing false information in the submitted declarations as required by the competition regulations.
- The participant will hold the Competition Organizer harmless of any claims from third parties related to the submitted photos.
- The participant of the competition declares that he will take all necessary legal steps to satisfy possible claims of third parties.
- The participant of the competition, at the time of registration, grants the Competition organizer a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence in each entry throughout the world in perpetuity, along with the right to exercise dependent copyright and to dispose of these rights, together with the right to grant a sublicense by the organizer, to use, without any remuneration being due, the submitted competition work in the form of a photo with information including the title, description and the author’s data in the following ways:
- for the storage and reproduction of the work, making using a specific technique copies of the work using including printing, reprographics, magnetic record and digital technology, for activities in all media, including social media, online and print, in exhibitions, the yearly calendar, books, post cards, souvenirs, the public archive, and all promotional, scientific and educational activities for and under the auspices of the Competition,
- for the circulation of the work putting into circulation, lending or renting out the photos and their reproductions
- for the dissemination the work other than in point 2 – public performance, exhibiting and displaying, public projection or any form of publication that is freely accessible by the public.
- The competition participant is not entitled to remuneration for the use of photographs in any separate field of exploitation.
- The deadline for submission of entries shall be the 1th of November of the current year.
5 Prizes and honourable mentions
- The Jury composed of representatives of The University of Szczecin, The Maria Grzegorzewska University, The Polish Mathematical Society, The Association of Polish Art Photographers and mathematic educators shall select the winners and works deserving honourable mention.
- The decision of the Jury shall be final and not appealable.
- Photographs submitted by the winners and distinguished with honourable mention shall be published along with their author’s personal details. Authors of winning works shall receive commemorative diplomas and advertising souvenirs from The University of Szczecin and special sponsors’ and partners’ awards.
- The Competition results shall be published at ‘www.mwo.usz.edu.pl’
- Furthermore, the winners and the authors of photos distinguished with honourable mention shall be notified by e-mail or telephone.
- Prizes and diplomas shall be awarded at an official gala event or sent by post. Participants shall arrive at the event at their own expense.
6 Final provisions
- In matters not covered by these regulations, the provisions of the Polish law apply, especially: Act of 23 April 1964 Civil Code (Journal of Laws 2018.poz.1025, as amended) and the Act of 04 February 1994 on copyright and related rights (Journal of Laws 2018, item 1191, as amended).
- Any disputes related to the Competition will be considered by the court of the place of residence of the organizers.
- Participants take part in the competition at their own expense.
- The administrator of your personal data are The University of Szczecin, al. Papieża Jana Pawła II 22a, 70-453 Szczecin and The Maria Grzegorzewska University, ul. Szczęśliwicka 40, 02-353 Warszawa.